Thursday, July 12, 2007

The lustful gardener

I just finished reading The $64 Tomato, a book about a man and his growing obsession with gardening. First off, I bought the book for the main cooking man in my life, but I ended up reading it before him. I should explain here that Chefy is mildly obsessed with his little kitchen garden which is what prompted me to get the book.

It was a perfect summery read. I just kept imagining that first bite into a tomato, the one that's still sun warm, with the texture of the goopy insides adding to the experience rather than detracting from it.
The writer, William Alexander, was conversational, sometimes a little cliched, but mostly entertaining. Aside from his somewhat awkward references to making love in an animalistic way to his wife Anne, (it just seemed like he was trying too hard...) it was a nice read.
This is the perfect book for anyone overtaken in thoughts and actions by the backyard garden. As the bookseller said to me when I told her it was a gift for a similarly consumed person, "It probably won't help - but at least it will make him know he's not alone."
And, it includes recipes at the end of the book, which I greatly appreciated. You can see them here.
Enjoy!

No comments: